Vegetable Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots (halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 3/4 cups canned diced tomatoes with their juice (one 15-ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pounds green beans, halved
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 ounces fine egg noodles (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cups chopped fresh parsley
1.In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, potatoes, green beans and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
2.Stir in the egg noodles. Bring the soup back to a simmer and cook until the vegetables and noodles are tender. About 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.