Bow Tie Pasta with Basil Pesto
- 4 cups fresh young basil leaves, packed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup pignoli nuts
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (if using Romano, use less salt)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more if needed for desired consistency
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. cooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
Place the pignolis and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute more.
Place pesto in bottom of a large serving bowl and stir in the pasta until well mixed. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
NOTE: Using young basil leaves will result in a fresher flavor and a prettier green color.
If you don't use all of the pesto, immediately refrigerate or freeze it with a thin layer of olive oil on top. Exposure to air will darken it significantly and affect the flavor.