- 1 Large Egg
- 1 12 oz Can Evaporated Whole Milk
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/3 C Grated Muenster Cheese (4 oz) + 4 Deli-thin Slices (1 oz)
- 1/2 C Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese (1 oz)
- 1/2 head Cauliflower, cut into small florets (4 cups)
- 4 C Medium Pasta Shells (9 oz)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 32mins
Whisk egg, evaporated milk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Toss the grated cheeses in a separate bowl.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until almost falling apart, about 7 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add the pasta to the same water and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cups cooking water. Preheat broiler.
Combine the egg mixture and the grated cheeses in the empty pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the cheeses met and the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and add the cauliflower. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth and light (you can also use a regular blender). Stir in some of the reserved pasta water until creamy.
Toss the pasta in the sauce; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a shallow casserole dish and top with meunster slices. Broil until golden brown, abut 5 minutes.