Kitchen Sink Beef Soup
Had a lot of vegetables that needed to be used up and some cube steaks and beef bones, so threw a little of this and a little of that and a great filling winter soup.
- 1 pkg of beef shanks for soup/stew
- 3 cube steaks
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red chili pepper chopped
- 1/2 of a head of Napa cabbage shredded
- 2 cans (4 oz) sliced mushrooms (use liquid)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 28 oz of beef broth
- 1/2-3/4 cup barley (not quick type)
- 1/2-3/4 cup of dried baby white northern beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp of sun dried tomatoe paste
- 2 tsp of beef broth base (in jar)
- 8-10 cups of water
- 1/2 stick pepperoni (chopped)
- Seasonings: (Most to taste)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Herb de Provence
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 230mins
1. Chop all vegetables and set aside Also, chop cube steaks into cubes and set aside.
2. In large stock pan (about 8-10 quart) heat bacon grease and then add all vegetables (even mushrooms & tomatoes from cans) except cabbage
3. Add all seasonings now and incorpate and saute about 5 minutes. (keep heat on medium)
4. Add ground beef & shanks, and cook till pink is gone and shank browns.
5. Add broth & water, bring to boil. Add paste & beef base.
6. Add cubed cube steak.
7. Add barley & beans.
8. Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium low and cover. Cook until beans & barley are tender, approximately 2-3 hours.
9. Add cheese and pepperoni.
10. About 1/2 hour before serving add cabbage and let cook till wilted in soup.