THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 6 Cups cubed Butternut Squash
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Granny Smith Applies, peeled, cored and chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 5 Cups Water (or Chicken Broth)
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (and a little more)
- 1/2 tsp. dried Sage Leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream (or Fat Free Half n Half)
- 2/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg for garnish
Melt Butter in Large Sauce pan over medium high heat. Saute Squash and brown sugar, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened (around 15 minutes). Add Apples, Broth, Cider, Salt, Cinnamon, Sage and Cloves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until Apples are tender (approx 30 min). Cool slightly.
Working in batches puree in a blender (or use immersion blender). Return to pot and stir in Cream. Simmer until hot and serve.
Garnish with 1 tsp of sour cream and a dusting of Nutmeg.