3-3-3 Chili is the perfect blend of spicy and hearty for a chili that is full of the rich, smokey chile flavors of jalapenos, chile de Arbol or cayenne, chili powder, and Tabasco sauce. Serve this zesty recipe with a hunk of your favorite cornbread recipe, sour cream to tame the heat, and some diced green onions to garnish. This recipe will warm you up and the wintertime and it goes perfectly over hot dogs in the summertime!
- 5 slices bacon cut into pieces
- 1 pound beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno juice (optional)
- 1 chile de Arbol pepper, crushed or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 135mins
Cook the bacon in large saucepan until crisp. Transfer to towel-lined plate.
Add the beef to the pan and cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a second plate and set aside. Pour off any liquid and return the pan to medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the plate with the beef.
Wipe out the pan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeno, and cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, jalapeno juice, salt, black pepper, and 3 cups water, and bring to boil. Return the beef and sausage to the pan add the chile del Arbol and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
Add the beans and reserved bacon, and simmer, uncovered, until thickened 45 minutes or so. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Baked Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Betty Crocker Cake Mix & A Can of... 4/5 (655 Votes)
- Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup 3.9/5 (366 Votes)
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4.1/5 (218 Votes)
- Chilli Rellenos 4.3/5 (131 Votes)
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole 4.6/5 (37 Votes)
- Pumpkin Crunch - Aunt Trina's -... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- No-Fuss Beef Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)