Cashew Coconut Breakfast Bars
Neila Rey's breakfast bars came up in my G+ feed and looked interesting http://neilarey.com/recipes/breakfast-bars.html. I decided to make a few adjustments. First of all, peanut butter is usually filled with lots of unhealthy ingredients and is also hard to find in Germany, so I decided to make my own raw cashew butter. I basically followed http://thehealthyfoodie.com/cashew-nut-butte/ for this. It takes a lot of patience unless you have something like a Vitamix blender or Ninja food processor. (I don't.) Then, since the nuts already provide so much fat, I decided to go with reduced fat coconut milk (basically coconut milk + water). And finally, I replaced the honey with maple syrup for a more complex taste.
- 1.1 lb [0.5 kg] raw cashews
- 1 c. [235 mL] reduced fat coconut milk (Basically coconut milk and water. There shouldn't be any added sugar. Alternatively, mix 0.5 c. water with 0.5 c. unsweetened full fat coconut milk.)
- 3 T. [3 Esslöffel] (real) maple syrup
- 2 c. [450 g.] uncooked oatmeal
Preparation time 30mins
1. Put the cashews into a food processor or blender and blend until creamy. This will take quite a long time if you don't have an incredibly powerful machine. (See http://thehealthyfoodie.com/cashew-nut-butte/)
2. After the cashews are creamy, slowly add the maple syrup and coconut milk and blend until creamy.
3. Stir in the oatmeal, making sure to mix very well.
4. Put into a parchment-paper-lined dish (~ 77 sq in [~497 cm^2]). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Cut into 12 bars.