Italian Beef Sandwich
- Pot Roast:
- 1 - 3 1/2 lb boneless beef chuck eye roast
- kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 tbs dried italian seasoning
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- Sweet Peppers:
- 2 green bell peppers - cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper - cut into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper - cut into strips
- 1 chili pepper - cut into strips
- 1 onion - cut into strips
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 270mins
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Liberally sprinkle entire roast with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides until golden and carmelized. Reduce heat if the fat begins to smoke.
Transfer roast onto a plate and reduce heat to medium.
Add onions and saute, stirring occasionally until browned, 8-10 minutes.
Add italian seasoning and crush red pepper. Saute until fragrant. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Deglaze with red wine and cook until alcohol smell is diminished.
Add in stock and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Place roast back into dutch oven with any accumulated juices and place in oven. Increase to 350 degrees.
Cook the roast, turning every 30 minutes until very tender - 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Strain the juice through a strainer into a bowl and return back to pot.
Bring to simmer and adjust seasoning. Pull the meat and reserve for sandwiches.
Toss pepper strips with oil, granulated garlic, salt and pepper on baking sheet and cook until soft about 20 minutes.
Serve with juice in individual bowls.
- Take sub roll, add beef and peppers and dip into bowl
- Take sub roll, add beef and peppers and submerge into bowl.