Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
•Calories - 136.4
•Carbohydrates - 17.2g
•Fat - 7.5g
•Protein - 0.9g
•Sodium - 41.9mg
- Topping Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 10 maraschino cherries
- Cake Ingredients
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package pineapple cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
1. Preheat oven according to instructions on cake mix.
2. Melt the butter over medium high heat in the iron skillet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter.
3. Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring.
4. Prepare the cake mix by mixing the mix, water, oil and eggs together, substitute some of the pineapple juice for some of the liquid in the directions. (NOTE: make sure to check the back of the cake mix box, you want to prepare the cake per the instructions on the back and it may vary depending on the type of mix you get).
5. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer in dutch oven.
6. Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Note: You may have to cook it for longer - test the middle with a clean knife, this really varies - sometimes even doubling the cooking time.
7. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate.
8. NOTE: Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.