Three Cheese French Onion Soup
The blend of swiss, parmesan and mozzarella gives it a richness onion-soup lovers will enjoy.
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 7 slices french bread (3/4 - inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the broth, water, soup mix, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 mins.
Meanwhile, place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with swiss and mozzarella cheeses. Broil 4 in. from heat for 1-2 mins. or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top each with a toast slice. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.