Caramel Apple Strudel
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped (5 cups)
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1 T water
- 1 T coarse sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping, optional
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
Unfold puff pastry onto a large sheet of parchment paper; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Transfer paper and pastry to a baking sheet, placing a short side of the rectangle facing you. Using a slotted spoon, arrange apples on bottom half of pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Drizzle apples with caramel topping. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the bottom side. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional caramel topping.