Voodoo Black Bean Soup
Each serving: About 426 calories; 22 g total fat (7 g saturated); 63 mg cholesterol; 1293 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrates; 10 g fiber; 26 g protein.
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder country style ribs or pork steaks
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana style Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces smokehouse sausage, sliced
- 1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, diced (1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 container (48 ounces) less-sodium chicken broth (6 cups)
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile peppers in adobo
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
1. Rub pork all over with seasoning. In large saucepot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning to brown both sides. Reduce heat to medium; cook pork 5 minutes longer. Remove pork from saucepot and set aside.
2. To drippings in saucepot, add sausage and cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add green chiles, celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Return pork to saucepot; add broth and cook 5 minutes or until mixture simmers. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 2 hours or until pork is fork-tender.
3. Remove pork from saucepot and transfer to large bowl or cutting board. With 2 forks, shred pork. Return pork to saucepot. Stir in black beans, carrots and chipotle peppers; cook, covered, over medium heat 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Ladle soup into soup bowls. Serve with hot sauce and sour cream, if desired.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.4/5 (150 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (128 Votes)