Shaq's Macaroni and Cheese
You can substitute Monterey Jack, Gouda, or mild cheddar for all or part of the sharp cheddar.
If the top of the macaroni browns before the filling is cooked, tightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and continue cooking until heated through.
- 1 (16-oz) box elbow macaroni
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, preferably Parkay
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (16-oz) package Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1 (16-oz) package sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni with oil and salt until al dente. Drain.
3. In a large saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and egg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in Velveeta cheese and half the cheddar; cook on low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. If sauce is too thick, stir in up to 1/2 cup milk.
4. Add cooked macaroni to sauce. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Taste and add extra salt, if necessary
5. Pour mixture into a large greased casserole dish or baking pan. Top with remaining cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until top and bottom are browned. Cool slightly, cut, and enjoy!