Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
This is not my own Recipe, I got it on line a few years ago
(I do not remember from where)
** To make a switch up healthier version I sometimes use white beans instead or the tortellini.
** To store leftovers (if there are any!), I remove tortellini and put in a separate bowl as it will tend to soak up a lot of the broth when it sits in it.
- 3 Italian Turkey Sausage links
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 9oz. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 6oz. fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 tsp. minced fresh basil or 3/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese, optional
Remove Sausage from casing and crumble sausage into a Dutch Oven. (I just brown sausage whole enough to slice it into coins and use it that way), add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add tortellini, return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, add spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkle on top if desired.