FLORIDA TOMATO PIE
- 3/4 pound Florida tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Unbaked 9-inch pastry shells
- 3 tablespoons Salad oil, divided
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 (2 oz.) can Anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/4 c Pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
1. Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F. Prick bottom and sides of pastry shells; bake 10 minutes and set aside.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 cup (2 tablespoons in 6 portion recipe) of the oil until hot. Add onions; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
4. Spread mustard over bottom of prebaked pastry shells. Cover with reserved onions. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and three-quarters of the cheese.
5. Place tomato slices in a circle over the cheese. Arrange anchovies in any desired pattern. Sprinkle with basil, thyme, black pepper and remaining oil.
6. Bake until tomatoes are tender and pastry is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into portions.