15 Bean Soup
Servings: 8 servings
I use Hurst 15 bean soup. You can also add swiss chard or spinach if you wish.
- 1 (1 lb) bag regular 15 bean soup mix or 1 (1 lb) bag cajun 15 bean soup mix
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped celery leaves included
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 to 10 cups water OR mixture of water and chicken/vegetable broth or stock
- 1 14 ounce package of polish kielbasa, cut in 1 inch pieces (I like Hillshire Farms)or ground sausage (browned in pan), ham hocks or diced ham. You can also use a leftover hambone with some meat on it.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crush with fingertips before adding, this releases the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
For all methods, saute onion, and celery in olive oil until tender. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more. Slow cooker Method Place rinsed and sorted beans in a 4+ Qt slow cooker. Pour in 8 to 10 cups of water( depending how soupy you want it), add remaining ingredients except tomatoes, lemon juice and seasoning packet. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 5 hours until the largest beans are tender. Stir in the diced tomatoes, Ham Flavor packet (if using), and lemon juice. Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve. Stove top Method with Soaked Beans If soaking beans prior to cooking add 8 cups of water instead of 10 cups. Simmer covered 2 hours, stir in the can of diced tomatoes, lemon juice and the Ham Flavor packet (if using). Simmer 30 minutes more, taste and serve. Stove top Method Non Soaked Beans Place rinsed and sorted beans and 10 cups water in a Dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients except the tomatoes, lemon juice and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in the can of diced tomatoes and the lemon juice and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Add in the Ham Flavor packet (if using), and taste. Allow to simmer 5-10 more minutes and serve. Calories: Beans and soup only 360 per 1-1/2 cup serving. Kielbasa 15 per 1 inch piece. Ham 120 per 3 ounces.