Easy Macaroni Casserole
Servings: 8 • Size: 1/8th • Old Points: 7 • Weight Watcher Points+: 8 pt
Calories: 338 • Fat: 13 g • Carb: 31 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 21 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 581 mg • Cholest: 63 mg
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14.5 oz can) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I used my own homemade)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz uncooked DeLallo whole wheat elbows
In a large deep non-stick skillet, brown the ground turkey over high heat until cooked through, seasoning with a pinch of salt and breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Set aside on a dish.
Add olive oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the onion, red pepper, celery and carrots; sauté until the vegetables soft, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Return the turkey to the skillet along with the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and cheese.
Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. While simmering, heat oven to 350°F.
Spoon just enough of the turkey/vegetable mixture to cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cover with uncooked pasta. Spoon remaining sauce mixture evenly over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake 50-55 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
Divide into 8 servings.