Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
- 1 2 1/2 to 3 lb. boneless pork sirloin roast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 cups root beer (2 12 oz. cans or bottles)
- 1 cup bottles chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp. root beer concentrate (optional)
- 6 to 8 dashes hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 8 to 10 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls, split (toasted)
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- tomato slices (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 33mins
Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with teh salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain. Transfer meat to a slow cooker. Add onions, the 1 cup of root beer and garlic. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the 2 cans or bottles of root beer and bottled chili sauce. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and bottled hot pepper sauce, if you like.
Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. To serve, line buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if you like. Add meat and onions, spoon on sauce.