The Old Spaghetti Factory's Clam Chowder
- 3 slices uncooked bacon minced
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 1/3 cups diced celery - (abt 5 ribs)
- 1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups clam juice
- 4 cans chopped clams - (6 1/2 oz ea) with juice
- 1 large potato peeled, diced
- 1 cup half-and-half
In a large pot, brown the bacon. Add the onion and celery and saute until translucent. Add butter, garlic, thyme, mustard and pepper. Mix thoroughly and heat until the butter is melted. Add flour and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the clam juice and the strained juice from the canned clams, reserving the clams. Whisk until smooth and simmer about 45 minutes.
Add the potatoes and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the chopped clams and half-and-half and heat to serving temperature. Do not boil.
This recipe yields 8 cups.