Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon plus 3 other variations
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups presliced onion
- 1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; drain.
2. Add thyme and onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and Brussels sprouts; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with bacon.
Lemon and Pecan variation: Omit bacon; use 1 teaspoon olive oil in place of bacon drippings. Substitute 1 cup prechopped onion for sliced onion. To finish, stir in 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Sesame, Garlic, and Ginger variation: Omit bacon and thyme; use 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil in place of drippings. Use 1 cup chopped onion; add 2 teaspoons minced ginger and 1 minced garlic clove. To finish, add 1/4 cup sliced green onions and 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce.
Garlic and Pecorino variation: Omit bacon; use 1 teaspoon olive oil in place of drippings. Use 1 cup prechopped onion; add 6 sliced garlic cloves. To finish, add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shaved pecorino Romano cheese.