Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
From Melissa Boersma
- 1 cup quinoa (soaked overnight or rinsed well prior to cooking)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 bell peppers, any color
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/4 onion, minced small
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-5 mushrooms, diced into small cubes
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese, for topping
1. Place soaked/drained/rinsed quinoa in a saucepan along with broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook sausage, onion and garlic in skillet until meat is browned and cooked through. Add mushrooms for last minute or two. Turn off heat. Add cooked quinoa, tomato and salt & pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine.
3. Wash peppers and cut off tops, discarding seeds and membrane from inside. Place peppers in a baking dish which has a bit of water added to cover bottom of dish (so the peppers won’t stick). Fill each pepper to top with quinoa and sausage mixture. Top with shaved parmesan cheese.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
*Note: this version leaves the peppers more firm, almost a bit crunchy. If you prefer a softer pepper, simply cut off the tops of the peppers, remove seeds and boil for 2-3 minutes prior to stuffing.