Ivar's Clam Chowder
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups finely diced potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1.In a medium saucepan, drain the juice from the clams; set the clams aside.
2.Combine clam juice with the onions, celery and potatoes.
3. Add enough water to barely cover and simmer, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
5. Add flour and stir in to the butter.
6. Slowly whisk in the warm half-and-half.
7. Cook and whisk until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
8. If you want a thinner chowder, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water or clam broth.
9. Add the vegetables with their cooking liquid, clams, salt, pepper and sugar to the pan.
10.Stir well and adjust the seasonings if necessary.