Sausage, Pepper and Mozzarella Calzones
- 5 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs sherry or chicken broth
- 3 tsp each minced fresh oregano and rosemary, divided
- 1 tsp each balsamic vinegar and salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 loaves (1lb each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 can pizza sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tsp cornmeal, 1 egg, 1 Tbs water
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add sausage, onion and peppers. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 min longer.
Stir in sherry, 1 tsp each oregano and rosemary, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. On a lightly floured surface, divide each loaf into six portions. Roll each into a 6in circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
Spread 1 Tbsp pizza sauce over half of each circle to within 1/2 in of edge. Spoon about 1/4 cup sausage mixture over sauce. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut a small slit in top.
Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30min. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. In a bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 12-15min until golden brown. Serve with sauce.
Freeze cooled calzones in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat calzones on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 375 oven until heated through.