Red Velvet Cookies (with filling - "Oreo") *** 6-10-19
These are a gorgeous red and dotted with milk or white chocolate chips - you choose!
- 1 1/2 cup AP flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- Milk or white chocolate if desired
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening - Crisco
- 4 tablespoons. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4+ teaspoon. vanilla extract
- Note: Be careful with amount of liquid added - easy to make filling "drippy".
Preheat oven to 37°F.. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In small bowl whisk flour through salt.
Cream butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until fluffy - 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, food color and vinegar. Add flour mix just to combine. Stir in white chocolate. Roll dough into 1 tbsp. balls, place on paper and flatten a bit with bottom of glass. Bake 7to 8 minutes until edges start setting.
Tablespoon. balls make 32 good size 1/2 cookies (16 when put together).
Try a bit less and make smaller cookies, more of individual servings.
Filling: Place ingredients in bowl and beat at med-low speed until light and fluffy.Turn half of cookies over and place a small amount of filling, cover with another cookie.
Be careful with amount of liquid added - easy to make filling "drippy".