Grilled Pork Belly Bites
- 2 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK
- 2 CUPS BEEF STOCK
- 1/2 WHITE ONION, QUARTERED
- 4 SMOKED CHIPOTLE PEPPERS, ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- 5 CLOVES GARLIC, SMASHED AND ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- 1/4 CUP HONEY
- OIL OR BUTTER FOR FRYING
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 205mins
1. Place the pork belly in a large slow cooker. Add the chicken and beef broth, covering the belly; add cool water, if necessary. Add the rest of the ingredients to the cooker.
2. Set the slow cooker to high heat, and cook for 3 hours or so, watching to be sure not to overcook. You don't want it falling apart when you remove it! Once done, remove the belly and allow it to come to room temperature. You can remove the layer of skin on the bottom if you like. (I like to keep it on, as it adds significantly to the flavor experience.)
3. Time to get the grill going. Get the coals gray/white hot, spread out evenly, to medium-high heat. Place your grate on the top setting above the coals for grilling.
4. Place a bit of oil or butter onto the meat side of the belly, dust it with a bit of your favorite seasoning and lay it meat side down on the grill. Immediately cover the grill. Cook the belly for S minutes, then turn it 90°F. This will create the perfect grill marks. Grill for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the grill, place on a cutting board and cut into bite-size morsels. Serve on crostinis, if desired.