Halloween Acorn Squash Soup
Scary pumpernickel bats garnish this creamy acorn squash soup that is so easy to make and everyone in the family will love it! Halloween Acorn Squash Soup is the perfect delicious and devilishly spooky soup that is filled with the rich flavors of curried acorn squash. Serve this with a batty treat of toasted pumpernickel bread and a lightly dressed side salad or a grilled cheese for dipping.
- 7 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon California Olive Ranch® Olive Oil
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
- Additional cayenne pepper, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Cut pumpernickel bread with bat or cat-shaped 3 1/2-in. cookie cutters; discard scraps. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter, oil, and salt; brush over both sides of cutouts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, bouillon, dill, curry, and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in squash; heat through. Cool slightly.
In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish servings with bat or cat cutouts; sprinkle with additional cayenne if desired.
You'll also love
- Big, Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits 4.1/5 (66 Votes)
- Drunken Cookie Monster Cocktail 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Halloween Guacamole Grave Yard 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
Review this recipe