Turkey Meatballs with Herbed Tagliatelle
- For the herbed tagliatelle:
- 500 g / 1 lb 2 oz lean minced turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 340 g/12oz dried tagliatelle
- 6-8 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs (eg parsley and tarragon)
Place the turkey, garlic, cumin and cinnamon in a bowl and using your hands, mix well until combined. Season well. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to let the flavors develop.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Stir and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes. Season well.
For the meatballs: Make small round balls from the mince mixture. Add the meatballs to the sauce. Stir to coat evenly and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
While the meatballs are cooking, cook the pasta, drain well, stir in the herbs and season well.
Divide the tagliatelle between 4 plates and top with the meatballs. Serve immediately.