Bob Warden's Perfected Pot Roast
This pressure cooker recipe comes straight from Bob Warden's cookbook--Great Food Fast. Makes a mouthwatering perfect pot roast!
- 1 (2 to 3-pound) beef chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 redskin potatoes, halved
- 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed into
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 100mins
Sprinkle the chuck roast with flour that has been generously seasoned with salt and pepper.
With the cooker’s lid off, heat oil on HIGH or “brown,” until sizzling. Place the floured roast in the cooker and brown on each side.
Add the beef broth, vinegar, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to the cooker (MAKE IT BETTER—Optional—Add ¼ cup of a dry red wine to the cooker in step 3, which gives an even meatier flavor). Securely lock the cooker’s lid and set for 75 minutes on HIGH (85 minutes for roasts more than 2 ½ inches thick).
Perform a quick release to release the cooker’s pressure. Add the potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery to the pot, re-secure the cooker’s lid, and set for 5 minutes on HIGH.
Let the cooker’s pressure release naturally 10 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure.
Carefully transfer roast and vegetables to a serving dish and cover with aluminum foil. Set the cooker to HIGH or “brown” with lid off and whisk the cornstarch and water into the cooking liquid. Let simmer 2 minutes to thicken before stirring in butter. Smother meat and vegetables with the gravy before serving.
You'll also love
- Snap Pea Salad with Whipped Ricotta 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings... 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Pesto Chicken Stuffed... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Christmas Cookie Dough Dip 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Caribbean Steak with Grilled... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Beef Stew 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Mississippi Roast Crockpot 4.3/5 (7 Votes)