From Gleaner March 07/2011 Posted by Alison Gillmor Postmedia News
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons grated lemon rind (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/2 chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole mill
- FOR GLAZE
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice (About 1 large lemon)
(1) Preheat oven to 350F.
(2) Grease a heavy 9x5x3 loaf pan.
(3) In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
(4) Stir in lemon rind and walnuts if using, set aside.
(5) Using an electric mixer, cream butter in a large bowl.
(6) Add sugar and beat until very light and fluffy.
(7) Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition until well combined.
(8) Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, making 3 dry and 2 liquid additions, beginning and ending with the dry and stirring lightly until combined after each addition.
(9) Bake for 50-60 minutes, watching carefully after 50 minutes.
Note: Don't make the glaze at the last minute. Stir well and let sit, then stir again.
(10) Cool 5 minutes, then drizzle glaze over top.
(11) Cool completely and remove from pan.