Bobby Flay's Beer-Simmered Bratwurst
These brats, simmered in beer with spices and ginger, can be easily done on the grill start-to-finish if you have a grill-safe pot.
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 pounds uncooked bratwursts, pricked with a fork
- 6 (12-ounce) bottles beer, such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Bun of your choice
- German mustard of your choice
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES
- Pickled eggs
- Pickled beets
- Onion, chopped or sautéed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
Arrange onion slices and garlic along the bottom of a medium stockpot.
Place bratwurst on top and then add the beer, water, coriander, caraway, mustard seeds and ginger.
Fire up the grill.
Bring to a simmer over the grill grates or on a stove burner.
We do it on the stove top, but you still need the grill to finish cooking the brats.
Simmer the sausage in the mixture for about 10 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the bratwursts sit in the liquid for 10 more minutes.
Remove the sausages with tongs onto the grill. Grill until cooked through and have grill marks. Serve on buns with garnishes of your choice.