Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 # bulk Italian sausage meat
- Aprox 1 cup bread crumbs (I used the Italian kind)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion (scallion)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 to 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Aprox 30 medium sized mushrooms – stems removed (finely chop stems for use in stuffing)
Brown mushrooms on top and bottom (aprox 5 min on med high heat) – add white wine at very end (stir shrooms around in it) and cook aprox 1 minute more until wine is evaporated – salt and pepper mushroom caps at end of cooking process. Remove from pan and set mushrooms with stem side down so they drain.
Partially brown ital sausage meat (aprox 5 minutes), add celery, green onion, and mushroom stems, cook aprox 4 minutes more. Turn heat to low. Add parsley, parm cheese and ½ the breadcrumbs. Add any juice from the mushroom caps that had been draining (optional). Stir and check for consistency (will it stick together enough to form little balls?). Add more bread crumbs if necessary (possibly a bit more parm cheese which will give it some sticking power). Taste stuffing – add salt and pepper if necessary.
Using a small scoop or your fingers, place a generous amount of stuffing in each mushroom cap (turned upside down of course). Place filled mushroom caps on foil lined baking sheet (lightly spray foil with cooking spray). Sprinkle a little more parm cheese on top of the filled caps.
(At this point – you can refrigerate for use at a later time.)
Bake in 375 degree oven for aprox 10 minutes until stuffing gets a little brown. May take less time if stuffing is still warm, will take a bit longer if mushrooms and stuffing had been refrigerated. You can tweak temperature and cooking time if other items are in the oven. Basically – just need to warm up the caps and brown the tops a little.
TIP: If you have any sausage stuffing left over and you are making the regular stuffing for a turkey (or other bird) – just mix in the sausage stuffing into the bird stuffing for extra flavor.
You'll also love
- Pan-Grilled Halibut with... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Caramel apple dip 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Spinach and Mushroom Medley 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Tomato & Bocconcini-Stuffed... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Creamy Fettuccine with Shrimp and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sausage Filled Stars 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Spinach Souffle Stuffed Mushrooms 4/5 (1 Votes)