Chicken Apple Chili
- 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 McIntosh apples, cut into ½” cubes (other apple varieties work fine too)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ C. flour
- 2 C. chicken stock or broth
- ¾ C. milk
- Two 15 ounce cans white beans, rinsed (Great Northern Beans)
- 1 – 2 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped green onions
Adapted from ambitionskitchen.blogspot.com
In large dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until barely cooked through; transfer to a bowl.
In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add the apples and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 6 minutes; add to the chicken.
In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour for one minute; whisk in the chicken broth and milk until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken-apple mixture and beans, bring to a simmer, then top with the cheese and green onion. Serve with the tortillas or crusty bread.