Savory Fish Stew
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup carrots, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pound codfish fillets (cut in 1-1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 can (16oz) whole tomatoes, crushed
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 tblspn worcestershire sauce
- 1 tspn salt
- 3/4 tspn basil, crushed
- 3/4 tspn rosemary crushed
- 1/4 tspn thyme crushed
- 1/2 tspn chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
In large pot cook bacon crisp. Add onions, carrots, green peppers, celery, worcestershire sauce, salt, basil rosemary, garlic and thyme; saute over high heat until vegetables are tender and crisp.
Add wine; cook and stir to deglaze pan. Add chicken broth, tomatoes and bay leaf, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
Add fish, continue to simmer, covered, until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, (about 5 minutes). Makes 9 cups.