German Potato Salad
- 1 C water
- 2 C malt vinegar
- 1 large white onion
- salt and pepper (Eyeball salt and pepper to your taste. You can always add more!)
- 5 pounds yellow potatoes
- 2 pounds bacon
1. Boil potatoes and set aside to cool. The potatoes will stay together if you wait to slice them. I put mine in the fridge the night before.
2. Slice bacon into small pieces and cook till crisp.
3. While the bacon is cooking, grate the onion.
4. In a small bowl, measure out flour, salt and pepper.
5. When the bacon is crisp, remove and lay out on paper towels.
6. Drain most of the bacon grease...I leave about 2 T.
7. Add the onion, juice and all to the remaining bacon grease.
8. Keep stirring until the onions are translucent.
9. Add the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
10. Add the water and vinegar and still our any lumps with a whisk.
11. When the flour mixture thickens, add cooked bacon and stir for another minute.
12. Pour over sliced and salted potatoes.
13. Use a spatula to stir sauce and potatoes, folding the sauce in rather than stirring.
14. Salt and pepper to taste.
15. Keep cold and warm up before serving. This should be served warm, but not steaming hot.