Poached Plums, Waffles & Ice Cream
Thinner-skinned yellow plums are best for this dish if they are available. However we do have a surfeit of local blue prune plums in the fall and this recipe adapts to it very well. Buy waffle wafers in specialty food stores. They hold the plum juice nicely or substitute with a good cookie.
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1½ cups (375 mL) sugar
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- 1-inch (2.5-cm) piece cinnamon stick
- 2-inch (5-cm) piece lemon peel
- 1½ lbs (750 g) small yellow or blue plums,halved and pitted
- 6 waffle wafers
- 1 pint (550 mL) vanilla ice cream
1. Slice open vanilla bean and, using a small knife, scrape out seeds. Place vanilla bean and seeds in a wide pot with sugar, water, cinnamon stick and lemon peel. Bring to boil over high heat and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Turn heat to low, and add plums to simmering syrup and poach until tender, about 10 minutes. Let plums cool in syrup.
3. Remove 2 cups (500 mL) syrup and bring to boil in a separate pot. Boil for about 8 minutes or until the syrup coats the back of a spoon. It thickens as it cools.
4. Place a waffle on a serving plate, top with a scoop of ice cream and spoon plums around. Drizzle with syrup.