Crab Fritters with Curry Sauce
From Bon Appetit Magazine. Bistro Twenty-Two in Bedford New York.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon chutney
- 1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Fluor
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pound Crabmeat
- 3/4 Cup Fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- All Purpose Flour (for dredging)
- Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 Tablespoon Gin (Optional)
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
For Sauce: Heat Oil in Heavy Small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add curry and stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to blender. Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into bowl.
Fro Fritters: Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Let batter stand 1 hour at room temperature.
Mix crabmeat, breadcrumbs, 2 egg whites and parsley in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 24 mounds. Press each mound firmly into ball. Roll each crabmeat ball in flour; shake off excess.
Using electric mixer, beat remaining 2 egg whites in small bowl to stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into batter.
Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy large saucepan to 360º F. Dip 1 crab ball into batter, coating completely. Carefully lower into oil. Repeat with remaining crab balls in 3 more batches.