Italian Beef Skillet
Put this beef, vegetable, and pasta skillet dinner recipe together in about 20 minutes, then sit back and relax while it simmers.
MAKES: 4 servings
5 weight watcher points.
- 1 pound beef round steak
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed or 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed or 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta (optional)
Adapted from dailyrecipe.com
1. Trim separable fat from round steak, then cut meat into 4 serving-size pieces. Spray a cold large skillet with nonstick spray. Add meat pieces to skillet; brown both sides of each piece. Remove meat from skillet.
2. Add mushrooms, onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until vegetables are nearly tender. Then, stir in undrained tomatoes, dried herbs (if using), and red pepper. Add meat to skillet, spooning vegetable mixture over the meat. Cover and simmer about 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh herbs, if using.
3. Transfer meat to a serving platter. Spoon vegetable mixture over meat and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with pasta, if desired. Makes 4 servings