Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers
- 2 oz. feta cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb. ground beef chuck (95% lean)
- 1/3 up roughly chopped mint leaves
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
In a small bowl, mash feta with the back of a fork until smooth. Stir in yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In small heatproof bowl, combine bulgur and 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse chickpeas until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and add beef and mint. Drain bulgur and add to chickpea mixture. With your hands, mix until mixtur is evenly combined and holds togethe when pressed into a ball. Divide into four 1-inch-thick patties and season with salt and pepper.
Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Add patties and cook until browned and crispy on the outside and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes, flipping once. Serve on buns with sliced cucumber, tomato, and feta-yogurt sauce.