Grilled Chicken With With Tamarind-Orange Glaze
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cans low-salt chicken broth - (14 oz ea)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste see * Note
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup raw long-grain white rice cooked
* Note: Tamarind paste, a tart, seedless paste, is available at Middle Eastern, Indian, and some Asian markets.
Place chicken in shallow bowl. Whisk next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Pour over chicken; turn to coat. Cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours, turning often.
Whisk broth, juice, sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, tamarind paste, peel, and ginger in large saucepan. Boil mixture over medium-high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup and glaze coats back of spoon, stirring often, about 25 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool glaze, then cover and chill. Rewarm over medium heat, whisking occasionally.) Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Season glaze with salt and pepper.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Reserve 1/4 cup glaze in bowl. Grill chicken until cooked through, basting with reserved glaze, about 5 minutes per side. Arrange chicken atop rice on platter. Spoon remaining glaze over chicken.
This recipe yields 4 servings.