Crab Cakes With Red Chili Mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño chili
- 1 pound crabmeat coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg beaten to blend
- 5 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
Mix mayonnaise, chili-garlic sauce, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate chili mayonnaise.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, celery, onion, and jalapeño; sauté 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in crab, egg, 1/2 cup chili mayonnaise, and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, then 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs.
Form crab mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick cakes, using 1/2 cup for each. Dredge cakes in remaining 3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, turning to coat. Place on baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add crab cakes and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Serve, passing remaining chili mayonnaise separately.
This recipe yields 8 cakes.