Beef And Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 5 tablespoons chopped jalapeño chilies with seeds
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 1/3 pounds ground beef (15% fat)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 2 cans kidney beans - (15 1/4 oz ea) drained
- 1 can beef broth - (14 oz)
- === GARNISHES - TOPPINGS===
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until brown, about 6 minutes. Add jalapeños and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beef; sauté until brown, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and paprika, then mix in tomatoes with juices, beans, and broth; bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until chili thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Skim any fat from surface of chili. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing, stirring occasionally.)
Ladle chili into bowls. Serve, passing bowls of sour cream, grated cheese, green onions, and cilantro separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.