Maple- And Tangerine-Glazed Carrots
- 1 1/4 cups fresh tangerine juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated tangerine peel
- 2 1/2 pounds large carrots - (abt 12) peeled, cut on
- diagonal 1/2"-thk ovals - (abt 6 cups)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 large tangerine seeded
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Boil until sauce thickens and coats spoon thickly and is reduced to 2/3 cup, whisking occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Steam carrots until just crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Mix carrots and cayenne pepper into sauce. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Simmer carrots in sauce over medium heat until heated through and sauce reduces to thick glaze, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Squeeze juice from tangerine half over. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This recipe yields 8 servings.