Spinach & Mushroom Chimichangas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 225 g/8 oz small mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 fresh mild green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 g/9 oz spinach leaves, torn into pieces if large
- 175 g/6 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 flour tortillas warmed
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the mushrooms, chillies and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are lightly browned. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, or until just wilted. Add the cheese and stir until just melted. Spoon an equal quantity of the mixture into the centre of each tortilla. Fold in two opposite sides of each tortilla to cover the filling, then roll up to enclose it completely. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep-fryer or large, deep saucepan to 180-190°C/350-375°F, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
Deep-fry the chimichangas two at a time, turning once, for 5-6 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper before serving.
You'll also love
- German Apple Pancake 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Chops - Creamy Lemon Thyme 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon, Fennel and Goat... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Black-Eyed Pea Cakes with Kale... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Cauliflower and Broccoli Flan with... 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Brown Rice with Beans, Mushrooms &... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)