Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 6 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/3 cup plain all-purpose flour
- 2 T fresh chopped parsley
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed (or 2-3 t vegetable stock powder)
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 10 ounces uncooked egg noodles or pasta of choice
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sear the chicken thighs on both sides until golden (about 3 minutes each side). Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery. Sauce for another 5 minutes until the onion becomes transparent and the celery just begins to soften. Add flour, parsley, crushed bouillon cube and salt. Mix all of the ingredients through and allow to cook for a further 3 minutes.
2. Pour in the broth; mix everything together thoroughly; increase heat and bring to a boil for about 4 minutes (the broth will begin to thicken). Reduce heat, partially cover the pot with a lid and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Transfer chicken to a plate and shred the meat; discard the bones.
4. Add the chicken back into the soup along with the milk and noodles. Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes until the noodles are just beginning to soften. Add the peas and continue to cook until the peas are cooked and the soup has thickened.
5. At this point, taste test the soup and add extra salt or stock powder if desired to suit your tastes.
6. Serve warm.