100% Whole Wheat Cheese and Mushroom-Stuffed Half Pies
- For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 20 chopped mushrooms
- 3 cups of shredding cheese (I used mozarella, but whatever you prefer is fine, too.)
- For the bread:
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1/4 cup butter for brushing
- Salt and garlic powder or granulated garlic for sprinkling
1. To make the bread, dissolve the yeast and sugar in water warm enough that you can barely stand to hold your hand under it when it’s running.
2. When the yeast starts to foam like root beer (after about 5 minutes), add all of the other ingredients, then knead dough in a food processor or by hand for ten minutes.
3. While bread is mixing, saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in butter, then set aside.
4. When bread is finished mixing, divide the dough into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then roll out into a 7” to 8” circle. Brush with olive oil to keep the dough from getting soggy.
5. Fill with about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture and cheese, then fold the dough over, pressing the edges with a fork to help them stick together.
6. Place the pies on a greased cookie sheet, then let them rise for about half an hour. Brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt, then bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.