Shredded Beef Soft Tacos
- 2 to 2 -1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast, cut into 3 to 4 pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 jar (12 ounces) thick, chunky salsa
- 1 T. chili powder
- 12 warm flour or corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese, guacamole and sour cream (optional)
1. Place beef pieces, onion, salt and pepper in Dutch oven or large pot. Add 1/2 inch of water to bottom of pan; cover tightly and cook slowly on top of range or in 300 degree oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
2. Cool slightly. Pour off juices; strain and reserve onion. Skim off fat and reserve 1 cup juices. Separate beef with the grain into shreds using two forks; reserve.
3. In same pot, combine salsa, chili powder and reserved onion, juices and beef. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. To serve, place an equal amount of beef mixture in each tortilla. Serve with cheese, guacamole and sour cream, if desired.