Caramel-Walnut Upside-down Banana Cake
A new take on pineapple upside-down cake. Here, a sticky brown-sugar caramel drips down the sides of a super-moist banana cake. WOW this is GOOD!
Bon Appetit March 2008
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup walnut halves or pieces
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 to 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Spray 8-inch round cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. (I think I would use 9" next time, need at least 2 inch sides or cake will overflow!) Bring butter, sugar, and corn syrup to boil in medium saucepan, stirring constantly until butter melts. Boil syrup 1 minute. Stir in nuts. Spread topping in prepared pan. Let topping cool completely.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed bananas, sour cream, rum, and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients in 2 additions just until combined. Spoon batter into pan.
Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes (needed to cook longer.) Cool 15 minutes. Cut around cake. Place platter over pan. Holding pan and platter together, turn over. Let stand 5 minutes, then gently lift off pan. Cool at least 15 minutes for topping to set. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
You'll also love
- Ocean Spray Cranberry Fruit Nut... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Pork Chops Stuffed with Smoked... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic... 3/5 (2 Votes)
- Banana Bread - NuWave 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
Review this recipe