Queso Fundido with Chorizo
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Spanish (cured) chorizo, sliced on the bias 3/8 inch thick
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 cup gold tequila
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 16 ounces tortilla chips, for serving
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat. Working in batches, add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a serving dish.
2. Add onion, chilies, and 1 teaspoon salt to skillet, and raise heat to medium-high. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tequila, bring to a boil, and cook until tequila is mostly absorbed by vegetables, about 30 seconds.
3. Reduce heat to low, gradually stir in cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, just until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a fondue pot, and serve with chips and chorizo.