Red Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 carrots chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice or to taste
Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan over moderately-high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, tomato, celery, cumin, and salt and saute, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add lentils, water, and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in parsley and lemon juice; then season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.