Sesame Orzo With Charred Scallions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil plus
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 bunches scallions - (abt 12) cut on diagonal
- into 1" pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In a dry small heavy skillet cook sesame seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes, and transfer to a bowl.
In a 5-quart saucepan bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain orzo in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain orzo well and add sesame seeds.
In an 8-inch non-stick skillet heat oil over high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté scallions, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir scallion mixture into orzo and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 4 servings.